Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Take a hike

Last week, I drove up to Sacramento for a three-day pastors conference and state meeting. On a couple occasions during the trip, I turned off the radio and just enjoyed the silence. I spent some time praying to God and memorizing Scripture. It was a refreshing time of silence and solitude.

Silence is a rare commodity these days. We get up in the morning and flip on the TV to catch the news and sports scores. We listen to the radio on our morning commute. We sit in front of a computer all day. We stay connected with friends by cell phone and I-M. We exercise with our iPods close at hand. We surf the internet or play video games to unwind. And then we crash at the end of the day, without a moment of silence.

Apparently, Jesus knew the importance of silence and solitude. Luke 5:16 says that when His schedule got busy and the crowds pressed in on Him, "Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray."

I don't need to become a monk or a hermit to enjoy a little solitude. It could be as simple as taking a hike or riding my bike or sitting on the back patio or driving quietly in the car. But it will never happen if I don't deliberately carve out some time for it. During this week of Thanksgiving, I'm going to make sure to enjoy a little solitude with my Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog

Today I'm closing up shop and launching a new blog called Pinch of Clay. You can visit it by clicking here . Please stop by and...