Monday, May 5, 2008

Leading with love

Tony Kummer posted an excellent article last Friday on choosing "hills to die on," and how we need to conduct church ministry in a spirit of love. Here's an excerpt:

I remember a time when I thought any accommodation was equal to compromise. I don’t mean preaching a soft Gospel. Rather, I was worried about third and fourth tier theological issues ...

This attitude would be bad enough if I were an apologist, but when the context for ministry is the church it could get ugly fast. Yes, churches need brave pastors who will stand up for the truth. But without love, I’d only be making noise or burning without profit. (I Cor. 13:1, 3)

You can read the whole thing here.

For an in-depth study on the importance of love in church leadership, I highly recommend Leading with Love, by Alexander Strauch. This is one of the best books I've ever read, and should be required reading for every church leader. In fact, I wish every Christian would read and apply this book. What a difference it would make in the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog

Today I'm closing up shop and launching a new blog called Pinch of Clay. You can visit it by clicking here . Please stop by and...