Thursday, April 23, 2009

The passion of the Christ

Someone recently asked me if I had ever seen Mel Gibson's movie The Passion of the Christ, and if I would recommend it. Below was my response:
Actually, I have not seen it yet. Somebody at church bought it for us, but you sort of have to be in the right mood to sit down and watch something like that. I don't know if Natalie will want to watch it with me or not. I'm sure you know the violence is very graphic.

Last Easter Sunday, I was seated at breakfast with another pastor and some Christians who saw the movie and they said it was very good. It brought many people to silence or to tears, and really gave them a new appreciation for Christ's loving sacrifice.

I do want to be careful that my love for Christ comes from Scripture and not a Catholic-influenced movie. Some have also criticized the movie for showing so much brutality without explaining the theology behind it.

But that being said, I do plan to watch it someday as I think it is a good tool to depict the scene of the cross -- something which has become far too soft and cuddly and glamorized in our culture instead of what it really was - a horrific torture device.
How about you? Did you ever see the movie? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog

Today I'm closing up shop and launching a new blog called Pinch of Clay. You can visit it by clicking here . Please stop by and...