Friday, December 4, 2009

Funny names

Natalie's maiden name was Smith. My last name is Jones. So, of course, Natalie Smith became Natalie Jones.

I remember when we were doing our wedding registry at Bed Bath & Beyond (ten years ago now!). The clerk at the counter tried to pull up our profile on the computer.

"What's the Bride's last name?" she asked.

"Smith."

"Hmm. There's a lot of pages of Smith here to scroll through. What's the Groom's last name?"

"Jones," We replied with a smile. Great. Like that would be a lot of help.

Sometimes at our last church (Placerita Baptist), the people would get confused and call me Stephen Smith. They knew a Smith married a Jones, but they just couldn't remember which was which.

My father-in-law likes to tease me that God created Adam with the last name Smith, and that the Smiths are thus superior. But I'm quite content just being a Jones.

We've had a lot of fun and gotten many chuckles over the years about how a Smith married a Jones. But our names don't hold a candle to some of these. Natalie and I got a real kick out of this article...

What's in a Name? Unique Names Raise Eyebrows, Spur Conversation

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Blog

Today I'm closing up shop and launching a new blog called Pinch of Clay. You can visit it by clicking here . Please stop by and...